Let’s make 2022 a year of ‘Make Things Happen’.
Congratulations to all members of the club on your contributions and achievements during the 2020/2021 year. The 2021 winter season finished early but there were many highlights for Newtown City Hockey Club, as detailed in the 2021 Annual Report.
Some of the notable highlights include:
- Runners Up finishes in the Geelong Hockey Association Under 10 and Under 12 competitions
- Members made significant contributions to the promotion of hockey in Geelong, through Roadshows and Sporting Schools programs in local primary schools
- Increased participation in Hookin2Hockey programs with 50 participants in total during the year
- 45% increase in new members compared to 2020 year
- 50% of junior members are female – the first time this has been achieved
- Application made for funding for the Lloyd Reserve Pavilion project
- Very good financial position and sound financial management
Aims for 2022
The core values of the Club guide our actions as we conduct our operations:
- Welcoming and Inclusivity: we welcome new members and are committed to providing scope for all members, new and old, to participate in our activities regardless of age, gender, skill level, race or sexual orientation
- Fair Play and sporting behaviour: we are committed to playing the game and conducting our affairs honestly, openly, fairly and in a spirit of vigorous but good natured competition
- Excellence: we pursue excellence in all that we do and when playing the game, strive to win through superior performance and skill
- Accountability: we are open and transparent with members, supporters, sponsors, other clubs and external bodies that support or facilitate the game
- Continuous improvement: we strive to continuously improve our on and off-field performance and so maximise our contribution to the development of the game
- Sustainability: we aim to ensure that the club is able to sustain its activities and operations over many years
The 2021 Annual Review Survey has given us feedback from members about the activities and organisation of the club during 2021. The survey comments have provided us with actions and strategies which we can put in place to make things happen and ensure that the club remains strong and sustainable, and continues to meet the needs of members.
Strategies will focus on:
- continuing growth and recruitment of new members, aiming to reach at least 270 members for the 2021/2022 season
- improved retention of members and reduced number of members not returning to play
- continuing sound financial management and increasing the proportion of funds which come from outside sources – grants, sponsorship, fundraising projects and not from membership fees
- maintaing the playing costs at reasonable levels for members and families
- ongoing training of players, coaches and umpires to achieve high performance levels
- continuing regular communication with members and the local community
- providing opportunities for social interaction and community engagement
Committee of Managment for 2022
These members have been appointed to the Committee of Management for 2022, and we look forward to their energy, enthusiasm and their ideas to help ‘Make Things Happen’ in 2022.
- President – Claire Barnes OAM
- Vice President – Jo Murphy
- Secretary – Peter Stuart
- Treasurer – Ashley Quick
- Committee members – Dominic Crowley, Peta Hanley, Bree Hayes, Zen Skuza, Chris Stuart
There are 2 Committee member positions vacant, so if you would like to help the club flourish in 2022, we would love to hear from you.