The many facets of the Newtown Hockey Club are illustrated in the 2017 Annual Report, which was presented to members at the Annual General Meeting on November 23.
The Club had a very successful year, because of the contributions of many club members in a wide variety of roles – both on-field and off-field. Special thanks to the Management Committee, who each put in many hours behind the scenes. Without their efforts, the Club and the members would not enjoy such a successful year. Thanks to Claire Barnes, Andrea Crosbie, Lachlan Birse, Darren Bradbury, Penny Beckworth, Dianne Fitzgerald, Zenon Skuza, Richard Stella, Chris Stuart, Peter Stuart.
Highlights of 2017
A sustainable club.
- The 40th Anniversary of the foundation of the Newtown City Hockey Club, and the Gala Dinner to celebrate the occasion.
- Continuing growth of membership, with 365 members during the period of this financial year, representing a 48% increase in the past 10 years.
- 127 new or rejoining members for the season
- Remains the largest hockey club in Geelong and the largest hockey club in Victoria outside the Melbourne metropolitan area.
- Come and Try hockey clinics were conducted in 9 local schools and education organisations, with over 1500 participants involved.
- Hook In 2 Hockey programs consistently see at least 1/3 of participants join the Newtown Hockey Club and play regularly.
- Financial management and fundraising projects have put the Club in a very sound financial situation.
Success on the field.
- 19 teams entered in all 9 divisions of the Hockey Geelong competition
- 9 teams participated in the Hockey Geelong Finals Series, with 5 teams winning through to the Grand Final.
- 3 Junior Premierships and 2 Senior Runners Up placings for the season.
- 18 members participated as players, officials or umpires at Western Wildcats Regional, State and National level.
- 63 members of the Club contributed to the conduct of and development of hockey in Geelong as administrators, officials and players for the local competition and for Hockey Geelong representative teams.
- Continuing recruitment and development of new umpires.
A welcoming club.
- Potential new members have a variety of ways to try the sport before making a commitment to join the Club, with Hook In 2 Hockey, Kookas midweek, open training sessions, Saturday Social and low cost options during the summer season available.
- Programs offered for children and adults, boys, girls, men, women, with members ranging in age from 3 to 70+
- The only hockey club in Geelong to offer a program for boys and girls Under 6 – Joeys
- 47.6% of Newtown Hockey Club members are female, 50% of teams have a female coach or manager, 57% of players in U6 – U10 are female, 51% of senior players are female.
- Communication with members and promotion of the Newtown Hockey Club to the local community have improved.
Congratulations to members doing great things.
- Sean Fitzgerald was selected in the Hockey Australia U21 Country team.
- Jonah McKinnon named Hockey Geelong Most Improved Umpire for 2017.
- Craig Molyneux was inducted into the Hockey Geelong Hall of Fame, well deserved recognition for his contribution to hockey in Geelong over many years.
- Claire Barnes had a very memorable year. She was awarded an Order of Australia medal in June for service to hockey, and played her 700th game for Newtown Hockey Club in September, setting a new club record.
- Chris Stuart was awarded Life Membership of the Newtown City Hockey Club. Chris has served the Club exceptionally well for 27 years, with roles as team manager, Kiosk supervisor, Catering Manager, fundraising organiser, Management Committee member. Huge thanks Chris for your dedication, your enthusiasm and your support for the Club.
- Many thanks to Dianne Fitzgerald who has given 11 years of excellent service to the Club as the Uniforms and Equipment co-ordinator. Dianne is now taking a well-earned rest.
Sponsors and Supporters
Thanks to the organisations and businesses who have provided support during this year.
On to 2018 …….
Congratulations to the Committee who have been appointed to lead the Club for the 2017/2018 year. We appreciate your commitment and value your time and effort.
President: Claire Barnes
Secretary: Andrea Crosbie
Treasurer: Lachlan Birse
Committee members: Darren Bradbury, Penny Beckworth, Peta Hanley, Zenon Skuza, Chris Stuart, Peter Stuart
There are many areas where members can assist, and offer their time on a one-off or a semi-regular basis. We are especially looking for volunteers to assist with uniform and equipment sales, and we have vacancies for Vice President plus 1 committee member. If you have some time to help, please let us know.