Start Your Love of Hockey Now
Hockey is a sport which the whole family can play, so it’s a great way to be active, have fun and make new friends. Our members range in age from 3 to 60+, with many players developing a lifelong love of hockey and lasting friendships. Whatever age you are or whatever level of skill or experience you have, you are welcome to play hockey with us.
Newtown City Hockey Club is the largest hockey club in Victoria outside the Melbourne Metropolitan area. With over 300 members and 17 teams, the Club offers the opportunity for people to play hockey at whatever level they choose.
New Members Are Always Welcome
New members are welcome at any time of the year, as there are teams playing in both winter and summer seasons. Even if you can’t play every week, we would love to have you play hockey whenever you can.
Winter season games are April to September, and the summer season is October to February. The winter season is the main competition, with the most participants. The summer season provides a more social environment, and this makes the summer season a good place to try the game out.
If you are new to hockey, or haven’t played for a while, you could try one of these options, before deciding whether to join the club.
- Come and Try Hockey – a free program which allows boys and girls aged 5 to 12 to try the game out before making a commitment.
- Kookas Midweek hockey – a less structured program for boys and girls aged 5 to 12.
- Saturday Social hockey – a fun opportunity for boys, girls, men and women to play hockey, There is no commitment to be there every week, and it’s a great way for families to play together. This program is run only during the winter season.
- Summer hockey programs – includes Mixed Masters (over 35) and Friday Family competitions – both good places for less experienced adults to play hockey.
- Join a team training session – join one of the regular training sessions for the various teams.
Teams and Competitions
If you have decided that you would like to join the Club, we have teams for boys and girls from 3 to 16 (turning 17) and teams for senior men and women.
Fees, Charges and Registration
Costs to play hockey include Hockey Victoria membership fees, and Club fees to play in a team or a program. All players must register in order to be placed in a team.
Uniform and Equipment
Equipment is available for loan to participants in the Come and Try Hockey program. Junior equipment packs are available for sale through the club. Uniform is required for teams competing in the Hockey Geelong competition, but is not required for U6 Joeys, Kookas and Saturday Social players.
Uniform and equipment information can be found here…..
Team training for the winter season is conducted at Lloyd Reserve, Newtown for the U8 and U10 teams, or at Stead Park, Corio for the U12, U14, U17 and senior men and women. All players are encouraged to attend regularly, but we understand if this is not always possible. Training is not conducted during the summer season.
Please contact us if you have any questions.