The 2015 season saw 2 new games records set for the Newtown City Hockey Club, both of which are likely to stand for a few years yet.
Sean Fitzgerald holds the record for the most number of junior games played for Newtown City Hockey Club, with a fantastic total of 260 junior games. Having started playing hockey at the age of 7, Sean has achieved this total with regular participation in junior matches, often playing in 2 age groups each week for a number of years. With the next closest current junior player having a tally of 175 junior games, this record is likely to stand for quite a while. In his last year of playing in Under 17 competition, Sean has also amassed 68 senior games, giving him a total of over 300 games for the Club. A great effort from a great club member.
Claire Barnes holds the record for the most games played for the Club, with 659 games – all senior games. Claire began playing hockey with the Club in its first year of senior competition in 1978, and has missed only a couple of seasons along the way. Playing as goalkeeper for many of these games has probably helped reduce wear and tear and prolong her career, but her enthusiasm for the game continues unabated.
Congratulations to junior players who reached Games milestones during the 2015 season:
- 25 Junior Games – Oliver Ayerbe, Declan Brown, Josh D’Arcy, Meyah Fursland, Will Jennings, Tom Mahon, Nathan Mehes, Amber Reilley, Miles Reilley, Oliver Russell, Rachel Stephenson, Angus Skeen, Erin Skene, Emily West
- 50 Junior Games – Amelia Charleson, Tom Charleson, Olivia Clarke, Byron Lanyon, Claudia Paul, Miles Rau, Angus Richardson, Sam Robson, Luka Steinwedel, Jamie van der Ploeg
- 75 Junior Games – Tom Charleson, Monique Chester, Lachlan D’Arcy, Eneko Fischer, Tom McDonald, Tom Pearson, Luke Pearson, Corey Stella, Hudson Stoop, Cassidy Whiteside, Hailey Wyld
- 100 Junior Games – Jonah McKinnon, Jennifer Weslh
- 175 Junior Games – Alex Birse
Well done to senior players on reaching these milestones:
- 50 Games – Martin Andrews, Bronwen Charleson, Julie Clarke, Michael Fitzgerald, Jacinta Gebert, Richard Stella
- 100 Games – Matt Jennings, Meg Kelly, Luke Porra, Dominique Russell, James Wood
- 150 Games – Kellie Barnes, Jack Hockley Samon
- 200 Games – Penny Beckworth, Nerida Campbell, Will Crosbie, Ainsley Stuart, Jessica Welsh
- 250 Games – Andrea Woodhead
- 300 Games – Samantha Dean, Sean Fitzgerald, Nicola Maher, Andrew Stuart
- 350 Games – David Fitzgerald
- 400 Games – Hillary Davis
- 450 Games – Peta Hanley
Congratulations to all these players on their participation and their effort. Hockey truly is a game for all the family and for all ages and levels of skill.