Senior Trophy Presentations on September 12 capped off a fantastic year for the Club, with many records to celebrate.
- 8 teams in the Hockey Geelong Grand Finals – with 1 team in every available division and 2 in the Division 2 Women’s competition. This is the first time this achievement has occurred in the Club’s history.
- The Division 1 Women’s team won the Premiership for the first time since 1991, in a very exciting match.
- The Division 1 Men’s team won its second successive Premiership, after having won for the first time in 2013.
- 5 of the Club’s teams finished as Minor Premiers for the year – U13 Maroon, U15 White, Division 1 Men, Division 2 Men White, Division 2 Women Maroon.
The Senior Trophy Presentations saw a fantastic attendance with over 100 people present. The evening provided the opportunity to chat with other club members, with some speeches, plenty of laughs, some great food and a few beverages. It was great to hear from Head Coach, Deb Barnett, who told us more about the vision which guides the development of the Club, and who expressed the thanks of all members to those volunteers who have assisted in achieving the aims set out. To have such a great club run solely by volunteers is a fantastic effort, and we would not have enjoyed such success this year without the efforts of the committee, coaches, managers, umpires and all the players and supporters. Thanks to you all.
Congratulations to the winners of the Senior Trophy Presentations and Club awards for 2014.
In recognition of their contributions to the activities of the Club, these members were presented with Bronze Merit Awards – Deb Barnett, Lachlan Birse, Darren Bradbury, Christian O’Halloran, Ruth McKinnon, Tracey Simic.
Gold Merit Awards were presented to Kellie Barnes and David Wyld.
Well done to the members who achieved Games Milestones this season.
50 Club Games – Zed Armistead, Hayley Brennan, Molly Duncan, Jessie Johnson, Sarah Lee, Gordon Robson
100 Club Games – Don Birse, Nerida Campbell, Josh Horton, Meredith Shears, Eliza Sheehan, Katie Warren
150 Club Games – Mack Dolenc, James Humphries, Tom Hutton, Adrian Jones, Marcus Lanyon, Nic Molyneux, Christian O’Halloran, Tiahna Proebstl, Hamish Russell, Ben Scheelings, Ainsley Stuart, Rebecca Welsh, Jessica Welsh
200 Club Games – Shelby Carr, Megan Champion, Chris Champion, Harry Dolenc, Luke Hatton
250 Club games – Lachlan Birse, Leo Fitzgerald
300 Club games – Nik Hinett
450 Club games – Pam Oliveiro, Ashley Shaw
Winners of the Club Trophies were:
Graeme Hawkins Trophy (Best Clubperson) – Kellie Barnes
Alan Barnes Trophy for Promotion of Sportsmanship and Encouragement of Junior Hockey – Jointly awarded to Deb Barnett and Claire Barnes.
Best First Year Senior Player – Minh Peart-Tang.
It was fantastic to see 5 players eligible for this trophy – i.e. 5 players join the Club at senior level who have not played hockey previously.
The Most Promising New Senior Player trophy is awarded to a player who has moved from junior competition into regular senior competition. 15 players in this category is an excellent indicator of the value of and success of the Club’s focus on the development of junior players.
Congratulations to the winner of this trophy – Remi Bolitho-Milne, who had an excellent year as part of the Division 2 Women’s Premiership team, Newtown Gold.
Best Umpiring Achievement – Adam Gieles
Congratulations to the winners of Senior Team Trophy Presentations:
Division 1 Men
- Best and Fairest – Harry Dolenc
- Most Consistent – Leo Fitzgerald
Division 1 Women
- Best and Fairest – Deb Barnett
- Coaches Award – Jess Welsh
Division 2 Men Maroon
- Best and Fairest – Martin Andrews
- Most Improved – Josh Todd
Division 2 Women Maroon
- Best and Fairest – Katey Smoker
- Most Improved – Rachel Van Der Ploeg
Division 2 Men White
- Best and Fairest – Nic Molyneux
- Most Consistent – Baden Shedden
Division 2 Women White
- Best and Fairest – Kellie Barnes
- Most Improved – Phoebe Walker
Division 2 Women Gold
- Best and Fairest – Dom Russell
- Most Consistent – Remi Bolitho-Milne
If you were not present to receive your trophy, games badge or team photo, please contact Claire Barnes to arrange to collect it.